If you’re a fan of BBQ sauce, you’ll love the addition of honey to this homemade honey BBQ sauce recipe. Not only does it add a touch of sweetness, but it also helps to balance out the tangy flavors of the traditional BBQ sauce.
Making your own BBQ sauce at home is easier than you might think, and it allows you to control the ingredients and tailor the flavor to your liking. You can adjust the sweetness, smokiness, and spiciness to create a sauce that perfectly suits your taste buds.
In this post, we’ll share our favorite homemade honey BBQ sauce recipe that you can make and share at your next BBQ party!
What To Serve With Honey BBQ Sauce
Here are some suggestions for foods to pair with your homemade honey BBQ sauce:
- Grilled or roasted meat: Honey BBQ sauce pairs perfectly with grilled or roasted meats like chicken, pork, beef, and ribs.
- Burgers and sandwiches: Try adding a dollop of honey BBQ sauce to your burgers or sandwiches for a sweet and tangy flavor.
- Vegetables: Honey BBQ sauce can also be used as a dipping sauce for roasted or grilled vegetables, like sweet potatoes, zucchini, or corn on the cob.
- Tofu or tempeh: For vegetarians and vegans, honey BBQ sauce can be used as a marinade for tofu or tempeh, giving it a sweet and smoky flavor.
- French fries or onion rings: Use honey BBQ sauce as a dip for your favorite fried foods, like french fries or onion rings, for a delicious twist.
- Pizza: Brush some honey BBQ sauce on your pizza crust instead of traditional tomato sauce, then top it with your favorite toppings for a unique and flavorful pizza.
- Salads: Use honey BBQ sauce as a dressing for your favorite salad, especially if it contains grilled or roasted chicken or vegetables.
How To Store Honey BBQ Sauce
To store your homemade honey BBQ sauce, follow these simple steps:
- Allow the sauce to cool to room temperature before storing it.
- Transfer the sauce to an airtight container, such as a glass jar or a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Label the container with the date and contents, so you can keep track of when it was made.
- Store the container in the refrigerator for up to one month.
- If you need to store the sauce for longer than a month, consider freezing it. You can freeze the sauce in an airtight container for up to three months.
- When you’re ready to use the sauce, simply remove it from the refrigerator or freezer and allow it to come to room temperature before using it.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the ketchup, honey, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, garlic, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 10–15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has thickened, and the flavors have melded together.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the sauce cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the sauce to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
This sauce is perfect for brushing onto grilled meats, using as a dipping sauce for veggies, or as a marinade for tofu or tempeh. You can adjust the sweetness, smokiness, and spiciness to your liking by adding more or less honey, smoked paprika, or hot sauce if you’d like to make a hot honey bbq sauce recipe. Enjoy!