Walnuts are a very popular and nutritious ingredient, so they are often incorporated into many recipes. This type of food is such a delicious option that can provide you with a lot of nutrition.
However, many people do not know exactly “how long do walnuts last”, as this greatly affects the preservation of food.
Luckily, we are here to help! This article here will inform you about how to pick walnuts, how to store them as well as to keep them fresh.
How Long Do Walnuts Last?
Depending on storage, walnut expiration dates can range from 6 months to 2 years. They are easy to store, and their shelf life varies greatly.
Moreover, if you know better about the things that can affect these ingredients, you can keep them even longer.
The factors that have a great influence on walnuts are:
Heat can break down the fatty components of walnuts. This will lead to faster deterioration of the material. Therefore, keeping them away from high temperatures is very important.
As a result, it is best to put green walnut preserve in the refrigerator for it will help them last longer.
It is important to preserve them in a cool, dry place at all times. A humid environment might affect the nuts and possibly cause them to spoil sooner. You should put them in your pantry or refrigerator for better preservation.
It is important to store walnuts, especially those with skin on, in an airtight container to prevent rotting.
If you have bags or boxes that can be sealed or tightly covered, you can use them to store this ingredient. Remember, the less air in the container, the longer it will stay fresh.
How long are shelled walnuts good for? The shelf life of walnuts varies greatly depending on how it is stored, both with and without the skin.
2.1 At Room Temperature
It’s difficult to tell how old pecans are when you buy them in the store. Therefore, it is difficult to determine how long before the rancidification begins.
But most of the time, unpeeled ones have a shelf life of about six months in the pantry. They may also last longer or shorter.
How long do unshelled walnuts last? Shelled nuts won’t last long. They can usually last up to a month in the pantry, or maybe two months if stored in an airtight bag with very little air inside.
2.2 In Fridge
How long can you keep walnuts in the fridge? Refrigerating the nuts will store them for a longer time than putting them in the pantry. Unpeeled fruit has a shelf life of at least one year in the refrigerator.
If you’re wondering “how long do shelled walnuts last?”, when refrigerated, peeled fruit has a comparable shelf life. They have a one-year shelf life when kept in the refrigerator.
2.3 In Freezer
How long can you keep walnuts in the freezer? When walnuts are frozen, their shelf life is extended for several years while maintaining nutritious quality.
But it’s still necessary to place them in an airtight container before putting them in your freezer.
How To Tell If Walnuts Are Bad?
Do shelled walnuts go bad? Consider the following variables when deciding whether shelled or unshelled walnuts are harmful:
Walnuts can easily spoil if not stored properly. But how to tell if walnuts are bad?
Here are the signs to identify if this ingredient is spoiled:
- Mold: If mold appears on the nuts, get rid of it right away. However, if only a few fruits appear, you can discard just the spoiled ones.
- Odor: These nuts have a mild aroma. But when you smell old oil, throw it away because your fruit is spoiled and cannot be used anymore.
- Taste: Taste the nuts after you’ve double-checked everything with your eyes and found no signs of spoilage. If they have a bitter taste, they may be stale and should be thrown away.
Is It Okay To Consume Old Walnuts?
In the cupboard, unshelled walnuts have a shelf life of around 12 months. After that time, they should be thrown away. To be more specific, the nuts have lost their nutritious content and acquired a bitter taste, which is harmful to your health when consumed.
When Is It Okay?
In most cases, shelf life is about 12 months in the pantry and will last longer in cold conditions. However, in reality; it may be longer or faster than 12 months.
So, if your walnuts are still intact and there are no harmful symptoms, you can use them as usual.
When It Is Not Okay (Risks)
If you eat spoiled nuts, you will face potentially dangerous health risks. The digestive tract will be the first affected site. Therefore, you should avoid using old fruits if you are not sure if they are edible.
How To Prolong The Shelf Life Of Walnuts & Tips?
How to keep walnuts fresh? When purchasing pecans, you can choose between shelled and unshelled varieties. Plus, here are some ways of prolonging both unshelled and shelled walnuts lifetime:
- Shelled: Pack the nuts in a bag, try to get the air out as much as possible. Store them in a cool, dry location away from direct sunlight. Remember to seal the container tightly each time you take them out so that no air can get in.
You can store it in the refrigerator if you buy it in bulk and use it for a long period. No matter how long it takes, your nuts will still be soft, greasy, and fragrant like the original.
Can you freeze walnuts to keep them fresh? Totally! Freeze them to extend their shelf life even further.
- Unshelled: If you’re questioning “how to keep unshelled walnuts fresh for longer?”, then walnut kernels are usually easier to moisten. So, how to store unshelled walnuts is a bit more complicated but not too difficult.
If you need a tiny bit every day, divide it into small amounts and store them in an airtight bag or sealed jar after each use. That way, you won’t have to take it out as often.
It is better to store walnut kernels in the refrigerator, but you can keep them in a dry, low-humidity place, away from direct light.
These nuts absorb food flavors quickly, so keep them separate from onions, cabbage, and fish while storing them in the refrigerator.
- Tips: You should buy just the right amount of walnuts that you need instead of buying too many at once. That way, you won’t need to worry about how to keep walnuts fresh.
Furthermore, many individuals believe that eating this ingredient with the shell on them improves their taste and quality.
Furthermore, all of the tips for preserving them or nuts follow the same rule:
- Broken or crushed seeds last longer than whole seeds.
- Roasted seeds will keep for longer than unroasted seeds.
- Shelled seeds last longer than unshelled seeds.
- Roasted seeds, by nature, last longer than salted or spiced beans.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Freeze Walnuts?
People often ask: “can you freeze walnuts to keep them fresh?”. The answer is that it’s actually a fantastic option. To increase shelf life, freeze them. You can either store them in an airtight container or place the original packaging in a resealable freezer bag.
How Do You Freshen Walnuts?
You may refresh them by following these steps:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (about 180 degrees Celsius). Spread them equally across the grill.
- To ensure that the pecans are evenly toasted, bake them for 10 minutes. Make sure to shake and flip the pan halfway through.
- Allow the seeds to cool after removing them from the oven. When the seed is cooked, go ahead and make your favorite food.
Can I Consume Spoiled Walnuts?
Walnuts that are rotting should not be consumed. When you eat rotten or rotting pecans in small amounts, it may not make you sick right away. However, it will interfere with your digestion and cause other health problems afterward.
How long do walnuts last? In the above article, we have given the answer as well as provided the information on how to store walnuts long-term.
You can follow the steps outlined above to achieve the best results.Walnuts play an important role in your daily healthy diet.
So it’s important to keep them fresh and unspoiled. Choose the most suitable method so you can enjoy them for as long as possible.