I have been using Silpat baking mats since I first learned how to cook, and it helps a lot with making cookies, cakes, candied nuts, or cooking chicken, vegetables, and fish.
But like all kitchen tools, the cleaning steps for the Silpat (or a silicone mat) need a little extra work to keep its quality.
So, how do you clean a Silpat baking mat? Take a look below at some of the best ways to keep silicone baking mats clean and ready to use for the next time you bake.
What Is A Silpat?
If you’re a beginner at baking, you might not be familiar with Silpat. Silpat is a French company that is known for its non-stick baking mats.
Having first been introduced in the 1960s, Silpat was invented to avoid creating a mess while baking.
It is claimed that Silpat helps control heat consistency, resulting in even baking patches.
With two main components, fiberglass mesh, and silicone, this baking mat can endure a temperature range from 40 degrees Fahrenheit to 480 degrees Fahrenheit. Besides, Silpat is also super durable as you can use it up to 3000 times.
Currently, Silpat currently has four different types of baking mats for various purposes such as original baking mat, specialist mat with cookie shape outlines, round mat specialized for baking bread, and a large pastry mat.
However, as with all kitchen utensils, your baking mats can get dirty and oily over time.
How To Clean Silpat (Silicone Baking Mats)
Heating your Silpat mats before cleaning them helps the silicone molecules increase their size and easily release the fat and white residue on silicone bakeware.
Make sure to pour boiling water and not just warm water onto the mats to get it ready for cleaning.
While doing so, don’t forget to wear your dishwashing or kitchen gloves to protect your hands from the hot temperature.
Here are 6 different Silpat cleaning instructions you can use for cleaning a Silpat mat eaisly.
1. Baking soda
- Step 1: Prep the baking mat with water
- Step 2: Spread three tablespoons of baking soda onto the mat surface.
- Step 3: Use a cleaning brush to rub the surface thoroughly. Then leave it for 10 minutes, so it can absorb the baking soda.
- Step 4: Soak the Silpat mat in warm water to wash away all the baking soda.
- Step 5: Air dry your Silpat mat.
A dishwasher uses the force of water to clean dishes. It will heat the water and spray the water with detergent on the dirty dishes and drain them. As Silpat is made of silicone, it is super flexible and durable under the dishwasher’s force.
However, you should only use this method when you have just finished baking, as the dishwasher mainly uses water to wash away the dirty spots. If your mat is dirty and greasy, you might need to scrub it with a brush.
So, how to wash silicone baking mats in the dishwasher?
- Step 1: Roll the mat and place it in the top rack of the dishwasher.
- Step 2: Run the dishwasher
- Step 3: Take it out and enjoy your clean non-stick baking mat.
3. Hot Water And Dish Soap
Another way you can use to clean your Silpat is by using grease-fighting dish soap. This is such a convenient way as you can clean the mats while washing your dishes as well.
I always use this method with a bar of strong grease-fighting dish soap. You can use the seventh generation free & clear one for high-performance and eco-friendly solution or Mrs. Meyer’s dish soap.
- Step 1: Heat to hot water and soak the mat with it.
- Step 2: Add a few drops of dish soap on to the mat
- Step 3: Use a sponge and start scrubbing it moderately.
- Step 4: Hang it on the rack and let your mat dry.
4. Lemon Juice
Using detergent is effective yet harmful to your skin over time. Fortunately, you can wash your Silpat with a more natural solution: Lemon juice. Lemon juice is perhaps the best natural detergent you can have.
As lemon juice is high in citric acid, you can use it to wash clothes, dishes, and pots. For baking mats, here is what you need to do:
- Step 1: Boil the water.
- Step 2: Squeeze one lemon into the water.
- Step 3: Soak the mat in for 10 minutes.
- Step 4: Scrub the mat with a kitchen sponge.
- Step 5: Air dry the mat.
Lye is a strong chemical for making soap, unclogging a drain, and curing food. However, as it is a strong cleaning chemical, I recommend that you only use it when your baking mats have extremely stubborn fat residue.
So how do you remove sticky residue from silicone?
- Step 1: Add one tablespoon of lye water to 4 cups of hot water
- Step 2: Soak the mat in the water for 10 minutes.
- Step 3: Remove the mat and rinse it with warm water.
- Step 4: Air dry your baking mats
6. Alkaline Cleaner
Another chemical solution for heavily damaged mats is Alkaline. It is a water-based cleaner for removing greasy dirt. I tend to use a multipurpose Alkaline cleaner to clean dirty mats, and it works amazing.
- Step 1: Spray the Alkaline on the baking mats
- Step 2: Use a brush to scrub the mat moderately
- Step 3: Wash away all the Alkaline with water
- Step 4: Air dry the baking mat
1. How Long Does Silpat Last?
Unlike parchment paper, Silpat baking mats are much durable and last a long time. A Silpat mat can be used for up to 2 years if you use it properly.
2. How To Store Silicone Baking Mats?
The best way to store Silpat baking mats is by rolling them properly to protect their surface.