If you are a fan of Italian cuisine, you must be familiar with carbonara – one of the best sauces that you can have on pasta and spaghetti. Due to its creamy and tasty flavor, you can frequently see carbonara in restaurants’ menus.
It’s pretty simple to cook carbonara once you follow the instructions, but what’s tricky here is how to reheat carbonara when it has been cooked once and now stored in the fridge? That’s the question we are going to reveal the answer to.
Let’s check it out!
What Is Carbonara?
Carbonara is a signature Italian spaghetti, with the sauce made from cheese, eggs, pork, and black pepper, and the spaghetti is pasta or linguine, fettuccine, rigatoni, etc. With these ingredients, carbonara has a dense, creamy texture that is frequently used on how to thicken pasta sauce with a sweet, rich flavor combining butter, cheese, and bacon.
Let’s see the methods on how to reheat pasta carbonara once you have it stored in the fridge.
How To Reheat Carbonara Sauce And Pasta Separately On Stove
Heating carbonara on the stove is the most effective way as it is also how you previously cook it. If you have taken your carbonara out of the fridge, there can be two circumstances here: your carbonara sauce and pasta are mixed or not.
To your surprise, handling these two situations requires different methods. We will see how to reheat carbonara and pasta separately first:
Suppose these two ingredients are not mixed. In that case, we can guarantee you to have a great reheated carbonara as reheating carbonara sauce and pasta separately will generate better results in the end. Here are the steps on how to reheat carbonara and pasta:
- After taking them out of the fridge, let them sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before cooking. In the meantime, boil water in a pot you use to cook pasta.
- Place the pasta into a colander and place that colander into boiling water. If your pasta hasn’t sat in the fridge for more than two days, you only need a minute to boil the pasta. Otherwise, it takes 2-3 minutes.
- Use chopsticks to test the pasta’s tenderness. If it has been cooked due to your expectation, strain the pasta out and put it in a bowl to rest.
- While leaving pasta to rest, heat another pan and pour in the carbonara sauce. Shimmer the sauce until heated. When you see bubbles blowing out from the sauce, turn off the cooker.
- Bring your pasta to a plate and pour on the carbonara sauce. It would help if you served the portion immediately to ensure a hot, delicious plate.
How To Reheat Carbonara Sauce And Pasta Together On Stove
If you have a full mixed carbonara dish and pasta, you can reheat them all together without any problem. However, we won’t use the same method above as more water will ruin your pasta’s texture.
Let’s check the step to see the right way to reheat pasta and carbonara altogether:
- Take out the portion half an hour before when you expect to cook it. The time left at room temperature will make pasta naturally soften and moisturize.
- Take a pan and heat it at medium. After 2 minutes, add 1-3 tablespoons of olive oil into the boiling pan.
- Pour in the carbonara, and stir continuously to prevent burning for 5 minutes. In the meantime, don’t increase the heat, and remember to stir occasionally.
- After 5 minutes, when the sauce starts to shimmer, add in 1 teaspoon of oil or cream to make the cream texture denser and increase the richness of carbonara. This extra step will make your sauce more flavorful, especially with white bean pasta sauce.
- Cook the pasta for one more minute, turn off the stove, pour the pasta onto a plate and serve.
That’s how to reheat carbonara on the stove.
How To Reheat Carbonara Sauce And Pasta Separately On Microwave
If you don’t have time to use the stove, can you reheat carbonara in the microwave? Of course, you can! We understand you may be in a hurry, but you don’t want to risk your lovely meal due to not knowing how to reheat carbonara in the microwave, right?
- Put your pasta in a microwave-safe bowl and spray on some water to avoid losing moisture while cooked in high heat. Cover it with a closed lid.
- If your microwave has reheat mode, select it to reheat your pasta. If your microwave doesn’t include that setting, then set the heating temperature to medium and set the time for a minute.
- After microwaving, check if your pasta has fully cooked by using chopsticks and pick it up. If you feel that the pasta is still hard in texture, stir the pasta all together, spray on some water and close the lid to the microwave for another minute. Repeat this procedure until the pasta reaches your desired tenderness.
- We repeat the same steps with the sauce but slightly change at the heating temperature. We will set the temperature to low instead of medium to prevent your sauce from becoming too hot and splatter around. Moreover, carbonara sauce only needs 30-40 seconds to be warm again.
- After having two newly microwaved ingredients, place the pasta on a plate, pour on the carbonara sauce, and enjoy your delicious reheated pasta!
How To Reheat Carbonara Sauce And Pasta Together On Microwave
For a full carbonara pasta, we need to follow these steps to reheat it perfectly:
- Let the dish sit 15 minutes before you expect to cook it.
- Take them to a microwave-safe bowl. Spray on a bit of water and season it with butter and cheese if you want to maintain the richness and creaminess of carbonara after reheating. This step is optional, but we recommend you do so as a carbonara makeover.
- Cover the bowl tightly with a lid and microwave it for one minute at medium temperature. If your microwave has a reheat mode, don’t hesitate to use it.
- Check the pasta and the sauce after one-minute cooking. Put it right back in the microwave if you see the sauce or the pasta is not hot, otherwise, serve them together on a plate and enjoy a lovely reheated carbonara!
How Long Does Carbonara Last In The Fridge?
Carbonara can last in the fridge for up to 4 days under proper storage. Since carbonara is a dairy product, it is prone to spoil quickly under inappropriate storing conditions. That’s why you should consume your leftover carbonara within four days to ensure its quality.
Can Carbonara Be Eaten The Next Day?
If you have leftover carbonara today, you can eat it the next day if you store it properly in the fridge and follow our above guides on how to reheat pasta. A day won’t make carbonara go bad, but four more days can make a significant change as it will spoil due to its characteristics.
What Are Tips To Follow When You Reheat Carbonara?
Although reheating carbonara seems easy, here are some tips to remember to ensure you have a great dish of carbonara:
- Always take carbonara out and let it sit at room temperature for at least 10 minutes before cooking to familiarize itself with the new temperature. Cooking carbonara immediately after getting out of the fridge will make pasta hard to be soft again.
- Always have the answer of how long pasta sauce lasts in the fridge in mind when storing carbonara. Unlike other pasta sauces, carbonara has a shorter lifespan because of its ingredients with cheese and butter. So, to enjoy a fine meal of carbonara, check for its lifespan before cooking a spoiled dish.
And that’s our instruction on how to reheat carbonara. Knowing how to reheat carbonara correctly will help you save time and effort in the kitchen while ensuring a like-fresh, delicious meal.
Thank you for reading this article, and we will catch up with you soon!