If you have ever found yourself wondering when cookies, cake, or brownies are done baking, then this is the post for you!
Use this guide below to find out how to tell when your next baked good is baked perfectly.
How to Tell When Baked Goods Are Done Baking
Baking can be a tricky process, especially when it comes to determining if your baked goods are fully cooked. Below, we’ll explore some easy methods for telling if your cakes, cookies, and breads are done baking so that you get perfect results every time.
Cake, Muffins, and Quick Breads
There are a few ways to check to see if a cake, muffin or quick breads are done baking.
- A toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- When you touch the top of the cake, muffin or quick bread, it springs or bounces back without leaving a mark.
- The sides will start to pull away or shrink from the sides of the pan.
When deciding if a cookie is done baking, you will have to consider first the type of cookie you are making. If it is a thin cookie like a cutout cookie, for example, versus a chocolate chip cookies, you will need to look for different things.
Take a look below to find out how to tell when a cookie is done baking.
- Drop Cookies: Drop cookies are done baking when you can touch the top of the cookie, and it doesn’t show a mark or lasting imprint of your finger. They will also lose their shine or sheen when they are ready to be taken out of the oven.
- Drop cookies are cookies that you drop by the spoonful onto a baking sheet to make such as oatmeal, chocolate chip and more.
- Thin Cut-Out Cookies: Thinner or crispier cookies are finished baking when the edges turn a golden brown color.
Perfectly baked biscuits have a bottom, top, and sides that are a beautiful golden brown.
Judging the doneness of a pie will vary depending on what type of pie is being baked.
- Fruit Pie: A fruit pie is finished baking when the crust is golden and the fruit filling starts to bubble up through the slices (steam vents) in the top of the pie.
- Pumpkin Pie & Custard Pie: A pumpkin and custard filled pie is baked completely when a knife inserted into the center of it comes out clean. A larger toothpick like a skewer will work just as well as the knife.
- Meringue Pie:A pie with a meringue topping is done when the tips of the meringue are golden.
There are a couple of ways to tell when bread made with yeast it perfectly baked.
- The bread starts to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- The bread sounds hollow when you tap the bottom of it with your fingers.
- The top and sides of the baked bread are brown.
- A knife that is inserted into the bread comes out clean
When yeast rolls are done baking they will be lightly browned on both the bottom and the sides as well as have a golden color to the top of them.
More Food Questions to Explore
I hope you enjoyed this guide on how to tell if baked goods are done! You can explore some more posts below, such as recipes, how to articles about food and more!
- 10 Spooky Halloween BBQ Ideas
- 8 Of The Best Slow Cooker Apple Recipes
- Sausage, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Sliders (Recipe)
- How Long Does Cooked Ground Beef Last?
- How Long Does Cauliflower Last
- Recipe for Easy Pineapple Pretzel Fluff Dip
- How to Clean Mortar and Pestle Easily
- 6 Best Kitchen Equipment Substitutes