If you have found yourself wondering when cookies, cake, or brownies are done baking then this is the post for you! Use this guide below to find out how to tell when your next baked good is baked perfectly.
Cake, Muffins, and Quick Breads
There are a few ways to check to see if a cake, muffin or quick bread are done baking.
- A toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- When you touch the top of the cake, muffin or quick bread it springs or bounces back without leaving a mark.
- The sides will start to pull away or shrink from the sides of the pan.
When deciding if a cookie is done baking, you will have to consider first the type of cookie you are making. If it is a thin cookie like a cutout cookie for example versus a chocolate chip cookies, you will need to look for different things.
Take a look below to find out how to tell when a cookie is done baking.
- Drop Cookies: Drop cookies are done baking when you can touch the top of the cookie, and it doesn’t show a mark or lasting imprint of your finger. They will also lose their shine or sheen when they are ready to be taken out of the oven.
- Drop cookies are cookies that you drop by the spoonful onto a baking sheet to make such as oatmeal, chocolate chip and more.
- Thin Cut-Out Cookies: Thinner or crispier cookies are finished baking when the edges turn a golden brown color.
Perfectly baked biscuits have a bottom, top, and sides that are a beautiful golden brown.
Judging the doneness of a pie will vary depending on what type of pie is being baked.
- Fruit Pie: A fruit pie is finished baking when the crust is golden and the fruit filling starts to bubble up through the slices (steam vents) in the top of the pie.
- Pumpkin Pie & Custard Pie: A pumpkin and custard filled pie is baked completely when a knife inserted into the center of it comes out clean. A larger toothpick like a skewer will work just as well as the knife.
- Meringue Pie:A pie with a meringue topping is done when the tips of the meringue are golden.
There are a couple of ways to tell when bread made with yeast it perfectly baked.
- The bread starts to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- The bread sounds hollow when you tap the bottom of it with your fingers.
- The top and sides of the baked bread are brown.
- A knife that is inserted into the bread comes out clean
When yeast rolls are done baking they will be lightly browned on both the bottom and the sides as well as have a golden color to the top of them.
More Food Q & A’s to Explore
- Healthy, Delicious Air Fryer Recipes For Vegetarians
- Where to Find Vegetarian Recipes
- The Best Rigatoni Recipes To Make For Dinner Tonight!
- The Best Cream Pie Recipes For A Perfect Pie Every Time
- Chocolate Krispies Treat Recipe With Fluff
- What Does Dragon Fruit Taste Like?
- What is a Blue Oyster Mushroom (+ Recipe)
- The Top 3 Pans For Cooking Fish